Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Saturday, January 2, 2010

How To Wear Skinny Jeans

Skinny jeans & cigarette pants aren’t going away… it’s a trend that’s here to stay (at least for a few more seasons). So if you haven’t already joined the band wagon, jump on!

Celebrity Skinny Jeans1

Ok, I know what you’re thinking. Most of us aren’t stick skinny and have perfect legs like Victoria Beckham or Lindsay Lohan. Don’t worry, you too can wear skinny jeans. I had my reservations before buying my first pair. I was hoping the trend would fade away before having to invest in something that made me look like an inverted triangle from the waist down. However, since that time, I’ve found a few fun ways that mere mortals with curves & wear larger than size 00 can also wear skinny jeans.

Celebrity Skinny Jeans2

As you can see from the picture above, these celebrities have paired their skinny jeans with flowy sweaters and tops (thus cleverly hiding the waistband/hip area). Larger tops lend balance to the upper half of the body and keeps the focus of the skinny jeans on your legs. Wearing a t-shirt or tight top only really works if you’re Kate Moss.

Celebrity Skinny Jeans 2

If you have any afford to pinch an inch (or even a half inch)–and I know most of us aren’t perfect like the celebs who are on strict diets and have personal trainers–avoid pairing tight tops and skinny jeans–leave that to the professionals. If I haven’t already convinced you to pony up for a pair just with the simple fact that these jeans can show off your killer legs, let me ask if you’ve ever tried tucking your bootcut or trouser jeans into calf high or knee high boots? Or worse yet, tried to wear those high boots under your flared leg denim?

Jessica-Alba

Ok, so how cute does Jessica Alba look in her skinny jeans and boots? Do you believe me yet? I’m not saying you should throw away your bootcut or trouser denim… but if you haven’t already done it, just at least go try on a pair of skinny jeans that you feel comfortable in and play around with some ballet flats or some sexy knee high boots (it can be another excuse to buy new shoes and frankly… what girl doesn’t want need new shoes!?!)

So, hopefully, you’re now resolved to at least try skinny jeans… but you’re not ready to plunk down $150+ on a new pair of True Religion Jeans? Well, here are some cute affordable options out there…

Dark Skinny Jeans

Start with a dark pair of skinny jeans. They are the most versatile to wear with both casual and dressier outfits. The ones above are from Hydraulic and the denim has stretch in it so they are very comfortable and hug in all the right places. ($39.99 at www.tillys.com)

Levis white Skinny

After you’ve mastered the basic dark wash skinny, move on to other colors and washes. White denim is coming back (I know, I’m slightly scared) but if you’re not quite ready for that, move on to grey wash or even black denim (Punk-rock-glam baby!!). The ones pictures above are ecoSkinnys made from organic cotton $78 from Levis and come in grey, white, black

When I first found out about Gio Goi's crystal wash jeans (£65) I just had to see them for myself. Designers are continually trying to end the skinny jeans phenomenon but most people (myself included) can't seem to give them up. The jeans looked very unflattering in the picture so I wondered how I might wear them.

When I first put the jeans on I was impressed by the fit. I am not Kate-Moss-skinny but I don't think you have to be to wear skinny trousers. The waist wasn't exactly loose but, as you can see from the picture, the leg was baggy enough to look flattering. To what to wear with these jeans just read more.

The jeans are shaped slightly higher at the back too so you avoid the infamous builders-bum problem! The jeans are available in several lengths but being 5'8" I thought the long would be best suited. With flat shoes (far right) they were too long but I always try and get jeans for heels as it's more flattering. You can always turn them up to make the length flexible.

It's not clear in my photos but the jeans have a faint glitter finish and thick stitching around the pockets. On the label it warns that the colour might fade over time but I think they'd actually look better when they'd faded slightly. The glitter aspect immediately made me want to wear them for dancing so I added in a bright pair of heels and a sheer top that picked up the silver in the shoulder detailing (far left). For day wear, I added a long black top or stripey jumper with either flats or ankle boots.

Finally, I cannot resist wearing a dress over jeans so I went for a purple floral style to brighten up the look. If you worked in a casual office this would make a great daytime ensemble. What do you think of the jeans?

1 comment:

  1. Love all the outfits.. all of them are stylish and well designed..

    Salwar

    ReplyDelete